Vegetable stews are very popular in Hungary. Grean pea stew, which I wrote about in an earlier blog post, and bean stew are definately in the top 5 best vegetable stews!
Today, I made this stew with white kidney beans, but you can use red beans or the two together as well.
It is an easy, quick and healthy recipe, and perfect for vegetarians too.
Ingredients that I used in the United States (for 4 people):
- 40 oz (1100 g) canned white kidney beans (it is even better to use dry beans, but you have to soak those in water for at least a night)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 heaped tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablepoons sour cream (this time I used vegan sour cream to make a vegan dish)
- wash the beans and boil them for 15 minutes with enough water to cover them and 1 teaspoon of salt
- chop the onion and garlic
- heat the oil in a pan and add the flour, mix until light brown
- add the onion and garlic to the flour-oil mixture and sautée until soft and golden brown
- add the sour cream, paprika powder and 2/3 cups of cold water to the onions and mix well
- add the onion-sour cream mix to the beans (the water covering the beans should almost be gone by now, be careful not to burn the beans though)
- bring to a boil once more and cook for a few more minutes while adding 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar
You can enjoy this dish as a vegan, vegetarian dish or add a grilled sausage on top for a meat lover! 🙂